The ESSnet Web Intelligence Network (WIN) project was launched by Eurostat in 2021 and aims to develop and nurture a network of like-minded individuals focusing on modernising official statistics through web (internet) data. Through access to the Web Intelligence Hub, an analytical environment to produce statistics with web data, National Statistical Organisations will be able to explore an array of non-traditional data sources and accelerate the modernisation of the European Statistical System (ESS).
Building on the successful 2022-2023 WIN Webinar Series, the project will continue to deliver a series of free webinars in 2023-2024. This will keep the community updated on the work being carried out across the several work strands, will raise awareness of the project, build capability in the community, and gather feedback to inform future events.
The following webinar is now available to book on Eventbrite:
- Web data in official statistics: process, challenges, solutions – the case of online real estate offers, 16 May 2023, 14:00 (CEST). To book your place visit our Eventbrite page.
The webinar will cover the main steps of web (internet) data acquisition and processing illustrated with the use-case of online real estate sales/rental offers. It will lead participants step by step, from assessing the webpage’s content to creating data acquisition tool and presenting possible use of the collected data. Methodological and quality-related challenges with the use of web data in official statistics, as well as possible solutions developed by the Web Intelligence Network, will be discussed.
Upcoming webinars will cover the following topics:
- Measuring construction activities using data from the web, October 2023
- Workshop on online-based enterprise characteristics, October 2023
- Web scraping of prices and combining it with scanner data, November 2023
- The Web Intelligence Hub: an overview, January 2024
- Measuring the quality of large-scale automated classification systems applied to online job advertisement data, February 2024
To find out more or to get involved, contact the WIN team at ESSnet.firstname.lastname@example.org or follow them on social media: