The UN Statistics Division is organizing a series of webinars on the UN Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics (FPOS or the Principles), which will pave the way to the 30th anniversary of the adoption of the Principles by the UN Statistical Commission, and the 10th anniversary of their endorsement by the UN General Assembly. This Webinar, held on December 14, 2022, was the first in a series of high-level side events convened under the auspices of the Statistical Commission on the “Road to the Commission”.
The Webinar was an interactive event with the participation of selected high-level panelists. It aims to recall the journey of the FPOS from their adoption by the Conference of European Statisticians in 1991 to their acknowledgement and endorsement at the global level. Panelists reflected on how this set of essential standards has secured official statistics’ trust, transparency, accountability and relevance. The Webinar eventually discussed success stories and challenges in implementing the Principles. It considered specific regional and national contexts and touched upon their possible extension to the entire national data ecosystem. It concluded with an early reflection on possible global and regional mechanisms to monitor their implementation and follow up on non-compliance.
For this Webinar, the organizers had the pleasure of confirming the participation as panelist of:
- Laura Ahtime, Chief Executive Officer, National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), Seychelles
- Misha Belkindas, President of the International Association for Official Statistics (IAOS)
- Padraig Dalton, Director General of the Central Statistics Office (CSO), Ireland
- Marco Lavagna, Director General of the National Institute of Statistics and Census (INDEC), Argentina
- Stefan Schweinfest, Director of the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD)
- Ola Awad Shakhshir, President of the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS)
- Hallgrímur Snorrason, former Chief Statistician of Iceland and UNSD senior consultant
- Gabriel Gamez, Inter-regional Advisor at UNSD, moderated the webinar
Watch the video recording of the webinar: