Convened by the International Statistical Institute (ISI)
Date: Monday, February 14, 2022
Time: 9:00 – 11:00 AM (New York time)
Background and Objectives:
The International Statistical Institute (ISI) will be holding a virtual side event entitled ‘Statistical Leadership – the Role of National Statistical Institutes’ at the occasion of the 53rd Session of the United Nations Statistical Commission. The panel of leading Official Statisticians will invite questions and lead the debate on the role of National Statistical Institutes in demonstrating leadership:
- nationally – within government and among the general public, and
- internationally – with international agencies.
The debate will cover the role of NSIs in working with national statistical societies, and in developing the leadership skills of statisticians. Examples will be taken from the contribution NSIs have made on public debates on COVID-19, on the population census and on sustainable indicators. The debate will highlight the importance of national governance frameworks to support the leadership role of NSIs.
Moderator: Ada van Krimpen, ISI Director
- Stephen Penneck, ISI President and former Director General of the UK Office for National Statistics
- Gabriella Vukovich, ISI Vice-President and President of the Hungarian Central Statistical Office
- Anil Arora, Chief Statistician of Canada
- Prof. Ben Kiregyera, International Consultant, Uganda